LingvoSoft Dictionary 2008 is a complete solution for translation and language learning that you can use in your Windows based computer. This solution is presented as a whole, containing all languages available, or by modules, containing two languages you specially need. In this case, we are presenting LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <<0>> Russian for Windows, so with this module, as obvious as it sounds, you will be able to translate words from English to Russian or the other way around, and learn one of the two languages knowing the other one. Once installed on your desktop or laptop PC this dictionary works as a resident application with an icon located at your system tray. This ensures quick access to translation by clicking on the icon.
The most remarkable feature of this tool is that it talks, that’s for sure. As its name indicates, this talking dictionary not only will show you how to write a word and what it means but it will pronounce it for you so you learn how it should sound. LingvoSoft Dictionary 2008 for Windows is fully integrated with LingvoSoft FlashCards and LingvoSoft PhraseBook, other language resources and tools developed by the same producer. You can easily select and export words from the dictionary to the FlashCards database or find phrases with the word in PhraseBook.
Since you can download a trial version to try this application before buying it, a registration dialog will pop up when you start the program. In this dialog you can choose to register later, which is going to do if you are trying the software, or you can choose to purchase the license. Take into account that until you register your version of the application the word database will be limited to the 10%, which is enough to get an idea of what this software is about and how it is used. LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary requires that the languages of the dictionary be installed on your computer. If their not, you will see a dialog window notifying you that the program may run with errors. So before buying LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary, you make sure your system complies all requirements for fully functionality.
Speaking about system requirements, it isn’t much of a computer you need to run this application. Check out the following list:
• Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista
• 16 MB of free space on the hard disk
• at least 64 MB of system memory
• sound card
The program interface is pretty simple, composed of a single window with a Basic Function Toolbar which is designed to get a quick call of basic functions of the dictionary and to operate the Input Line. Let’s briefly see the functions you access from this bar:
- Translation direction: changes the direction for translation.
- Say: use to listen to the pronunciation of the selected word.
- Add word: use to add the highlighted word to the User Dictionary.
- Word for word translation: Use to translate text word by word.
- Synonyms: opens the window with synonyms for the current word.
- POFS filter: opens the POFS filter window.
- Increase letter size: increases letter size in Input Line, List of Entries and in the Window for Articles.
- Decrease letter size: decreases letter size in Input Line, Wordlist and in the Window for Articles.
- Help: opens product Help.
You can buy this product right from the developer’s site on Internet for $ 49.95, and you can try it before all the time you need but with the limitation mentioned before.
- You can buy online.
- It's a lightweight application.
- You can hear the correct pronunciation of words.
- Each piece includes only two languages at a time.
- The trial limits the database to the 10%.